We are covered by the Federal Privacy Act and its National Privacy Principles (NPPs) which set out standards for the collection, use disclosure and handling of personal information. This statement tells you how Pender Insurance Holdings Pty Ltd Pty Limited (ABN 15 003 886 687) collects, uses and discloses personal information and what we expect of you.
- “Personal information” is essentially information or an opinion which identifies individuals, including for example, an individual who is an insured and an individual who may simply be referred to in the application for cover or claim form (such as an employee, director, claimant, witness etc). Examples of personal information include name, address, date of birth.
- It is important that you read, understand and agree to the following which applies from 21 December 2001.
HOW AND WHY WE COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION
- We collect personal information to be able to provide our various services. These include insurance broking, claims management, risk management consulting and other forms of insurance services (including underwriting and reinsurance), employee benefits, superannuation.
- We collect personal information either directly from the relevant individuals or indirectly from third parties. For example an insured may not only provide us with information on themselves for the purpose of obtaining our services, but also on other insureds who they represent. We may also obtain personal information from past insurers, witnesses of claims, health care workers and publicly available sources etc.
- We also use it to help develop and identify products and services that may interest clients, conduct market or customer satisfaction research, develop, establish and administer alliances and other relevant arrangements with other organisations in relation to the promotion, administration and use of our respective products and services. For more information on our services please contact us.
- Internet browsers are commonly configured to accept cookies. If you don’t wish to receive cookies, you may be able to change the settings of your browser to refuse them, or to notify you each time a cookie tries to send a message to your computer, giving you the choice to accept it or not.
HOW WE USE AND DISCLOSE PERSONAL INFORMATION
- We do not use or disclose personal information for any purpose that is unrelated to our services and that you would not reasonably expect (except with your consent).
- We have a duty to maintain the confidentiality of our client’s affairs, including personal information. Our duty of confidentiality applies except where disclosure of your personal information is with your consent or compelled by law.
- We disclose personal information to third parties that are essential in assisting us to provide our services. For example, in arranging and managing your insurance needs we may provide information to insurers, reinsurers, and other insurance intermediaries, insurance reference bureaus, our advisers such as loss adjusters, lawyers and accountants and others involved in the claims handling process.
- We take reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is accurate, complete and up to date whenever we collect or use or disclose it.
- If the required personal information is not provided, we or any involved third parties may not be able to provide appropriate services.
WHAT WE EXPECT OF YOU
- When you provide us with personal information about other individuals, we rely on you to have made them aware that you will or may provide their information to us, the purposes we may use it for, the types of third parties we disclose it to and how they can access (as described in this document). If it is sensitive information we rely on you to have obtained their consent to the above. If you have not done either of these things, you must tell us before you provide the relevant information.
- If we give you personal information, you and your representatives must only use it for the purposes we agreed to.
- Where relevant you must meet the requirements of the National Privacy Pr4inciples set out in the Privacy Act 1988 when collecting, using, disclosing and handing personal information on our behalf.
- You must also ensure that your agents, employees and contractors meet the above requirements.
SECURITY OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- We endeavour to protect any personal information that we hold from misuse and loss, unauthorised access, modification and disclosure.
- We maintain physical security over our paper and electronic data stores and premises, such as locks and security systems.
- We also maintain computer and network security; for example we use firewalls (security measure for the Internet) and other security systems such as user identifiers and passwords to control access to computer systems.
TRANSFER OF INFORMATION SERVICES
- We may transfer your personal information overseas where it is necessary to provide our services. For example we sometimes use the internet to collect and process information. In addition, some insurers or reinsurers are based overseas and we need to provide your personal information to them to arrange your cover. In most cases we only do this with your consent.
- We send you any information about services or products, or you do not want us to disclose your personal information to any other organisation (including related bodies corporate) you can opt out by contacting us as per our contact details below.
HOW TO CONTACT US
Telephone: (02) 8203 4540
Mail: P.O. Box 633, North Sydney, NSW, 2059;
Fax: (02) 9956 7584
- You will be asked to complete a simple form setting our the details you require, and you will receive an initial response within 48 hours. We will respond to you query or complaint as soon as possible, and will try to resolve any complaint within 5 working days. If this is not possible we will contact you within that time and let you know how long we estimate that it will take to resolve your complaint. Any unresolved complaints should be referred to the Privacy Commissioner
If you do not notify us otherwise before next dealing with us, you confirm agreement to this above on your own behalf and/or on behalf of those you represent.